Thursday, March 10, 2011

Manifest Destiny (Feivel Goes West)


“I’m going going, back, back to Cali, Cali”.

After being away from the Bay Area for over 15 years, I have been given a golden opportunity to go back and develop my career in a most exciting manner. I’ve been offered a position with Backblaze, a company specializing in the online backup of computer files (you should probably check it out http://www.backblaze.com/; better safe than upset later).

After graduating from Iowa, I moved back home with my parents, as many people do, but having never lived on my own (only in dorm rooms as a Resident Assistant) I haven’t had the opportunity to be independent and to live life as “an adult”. Apart from a brief stint in Dallas on an internship for three months, I have always been relatively “safe”, whether it was because I was surrounded by people I’d known for a long time like in College, or living back home with my parents and sister. My job was getting a bit safe as well, I was performing well, and my life had started taking on a fairly monotonous and safe rhythm. I needed to shake things up a bit.

Over the past year I have developed some incredible relationships with people in Des Moines, Iowa City, and Cedar Rapids. I’ve spent a lot of time in the past year in and around Iowa City/Cedar Rapids, meeting and getting to know new-old friends. Leaving them and all of my friends in Des Moines behind is going to be very difficult, and is one of the reasons I was scared about moving so far away. I’ll miss them quite a bit and hope that they come visit me often. On the flip side, my friends and relatives in the Bay will be pumped to see me after such an extended absence.

I don’t know if this move is going to be permanent, but I have been given an opportunity to try something new and exciting, and I would be a dummy if I didn’t at least give it a shot. Knowing that I have such a good support system of friends and family in Iowa, I know that if things don’t work out in California, or I simply long for the “Midwestern” way of life after a while, I’ll be able to move back and will be greeted, I’m sure, as a conquering hero returning back home.

In the immortal words of Terry Hoitz (played masterfully by Mark Wahlberg in “The Other Guys”), “I’m like a peacock, you gotta let me fly!”.


peter pan, peter schmeichel, peterpan, harekitli   peter pan resimleri

Hopefully though, I'll still be a kid forever :)

1 comment:

  1. Congrats again on the new job, buddy. Can't wait to hear about all your fun new stories from Cali.

    ReplyDelete