Monday, June 10, 2013

E3 Keynote Reaction: Microsoft and Sony Both Win, I Lose

I currently own an Xbox 360. After the Xbox One reveal, I wrote my thoughts on why Microsoft was talking about all of the boring bits. It turns out I was right. Microsoft's entire E3 keynote was focused on the games. And there were a lot of them. The item that stood out to me the most was the cloud controlled AI in Forza 5. I liked that concept, it adds a level of "newness" to the normally monotonous racing that comes with that type of game. The thing that captured my imagination the most though, was The Division. That game looked rad.


The console was eventually slated for November of 2013, and available with a $499 price tag. I thought that was really fair, considering the new Kinect was bundled in and a I was thinking the new generation would cost closer to $600, like the Playstation 3 launched at. Obviously Microsoft is focusing on being an all-in-one system for your entertainment center.

Then came the Sony keynote. The only thing that I thought was interesting was Destiny, the game that Bungie is working on.


 I was bored for 95% of the Sony keynote. And this was my reaction to the final 5%.


A $399 price point and no DRM (always-on, or connectivity checking) was absolutely a slap across the face of Microsoft. Sony even released this video:



Them's fighting words! I was 100% going to buy an Xbox One after it's announcement and E3 keynote, having already made peace with the fact that it would require an internet connection at least once every 24 hours to play video games. Sony made it clear that it was focusing on games. After Sony took the stage, I was indeed bored up until the very end. Then they stole all of Microsoft's thunder. 

These announcements are likely going to result in me having two consoles for the first time in my life. Both Microsoft and Sony win in that scenario. But unfortunately I, and my wallet, lose. Something I wasn't expecting going in to today.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment